Thursday, August 7, 2008

* . Solange Real Side ; Solo Star .

“‘I am a Miss-Tina-in-the-back-of-my-head’ type of drunk”

…It’s Friday night at 11 P.M. What are you doing?

I’m either at home with my son or out drinking some Coronas and adding to my beer belly.


Where do you drink your Coronas?

Dive bars. Two doors down from here there’s a little joint that’s full of old rednecks. I go in there, drop $10 in the jukebox, play nothing but Marvin and Prince and just get wasted. The rednecks are like, “What the fuhk?”


What kind of drunk are you?

I am a Miss-Tina’s-in-the-back-of-my-head kind of drunk.


You mean, your mom. What is she saying?

"Girl, you better have some panties on!” My mom’s so reserved-last year, for my 21st birthday, she was like, “You can have one glass of champagne, and that’s it.” I said, “First of all, I haven’t lived with you since I was 17. Second, I’m divorced. And third, I have a kid. I am drinking tonight.”


If we drug-tested you, what would we find?

I’ve got a song called “Champagne Chronic Nightcap.” That’s about as wild as it gets for me-that and the Coronas.


Are you a good girl or a bad girl?

Definitely…um…You know, I was so trained to say a god girl, but I really straddle that line.

Ever doubted your sexual orientation?

You mean like in that Katy Perry song? Negative. I’m strictly dickly.


How about videotaped yourself having sex?

Nope. Ain’t no Solo tapes, y’all.


How would you characterize your taste in sex.

A good girl never kisses and tells. Didn’t I say I straddle that line.

now theres one Knowles sista in the family no doubt Solange is definetly making a name for herself in theres no Beyonce up in between the first or the last!

other than that the beautiful diva was spotted at House of Blues where she performed and shared all her thoughts in an interview .


On how her upcoming album “Sol-Angel” is different from her 2003 debut Solo Star :

“Then I just didn’t know how to execute what I wanted. I was 15, and made a record with no identity. I was at a label [Sony] that didn’t develop me, they just got all the big heads together and hoped to formulate a big song. I started writing all these Sol-Angel records three years ago but no other artists wanted to cut them. It wasn’t cool yet because it was before Amy Winehouse, Adele and Duffy. A few people asked, “why aren’t you cutting those records yourself.” Geffen gave me the opportunity to record, turn it in and sign when I was done. I thought for sure I’d do an indie record, where I am happiest, but the key and the challenge now is trying to work with label and get them to know me.”


On why she’s not your average R&B artist :

“I have never felt at home in one demographic. That’s my struggle with management and my label, getting everyone to identify that just because I’m African-American, that doesn’t mean that I’m an urban artist. I make music for people that have a sophisticated ear and are brave enough to support something non-traditional. People complain about the state of music, but there are alot of diverse and talented artists with people that support them. But their fans aren’t the ones calling the radio station, they just want to see a good show. So I said, we should just do a tour and all of the artists that are going to be a part of it will have the same voice and stance on music. So, we, Janelle Monae, Chester French, the Knux and I, got all of our managers on the phone and started making a tour happen. It’s in the very early stages, but we’re trying to put something together.”